An attempt to move past an opposing player whilst trying to maintain possession of the ball.
Marcelo doing a dribble with space
- The player that has the possession of the ball is using their ability in an attempt to move past the opposition player or to find a free zone for the next action (see Type).
- When a player shields and guards the ball using his physical strength, this is not a dribble, but it is still an Offensive Duel.
Successful: Yes / No
- If the next action following the duel is by the same offensive player and that action is closer to the opponent’s goal, or;
- If the duel was a dribble and it's followed by a touch of an attacking teammate closer to the opponent goal (i.e. successful forward pass for the attacking player from a dribble), or:
- If the duel ended in a foul from the defensive player
The scenarios above result in a dribble won. Everything else qualifies as an dribble lost (and a won Defensive duel for a defender).
Side: Left (API tagIds 502, 503) / Right (API tagIds 501, 504)
The side that the attacking player attempts to dribble past an opponent.
Type: Take-on (API tagIds 503, 504) / Space (API tagIds 501, 502)
The Space type is used when the attacking player dribbles past an opponent to create space for his next action. The Take-on dribble is a stricter attempt to dribble past the opposite player. The dribble definition includes both these types of dribbles.
Dribbles / 90
Number of dribble attempts normalized per 90 minutes.
Percentage of successful dribbles.